Lower back pain can be a debilitating condition that hinders your ability to carry out normal daily activities. In fact, people suffering from severe cases of lower back pain need to get frequent doctor home visits. In many cases, the cause of lower back pain is due to a lack of flexibility or flexibility in certain muscles, which can result from numerous other factors.
While going to the doctor is the ideal thing to do you can take do some stretching exercises at home for some pain relief. The following stretches will help you relieve the pain and stiffness that comes with lower back injuries. More importantly, if you do these exercises on a regular basis you won’t need to always have a doctor on call since over time these exercises might even completely remove your pain.
- Knee to chest stretch
This is an ideal stretching exercise not just for your lower back but also for the hips, glutes, and thighs. Doing it is easy. Here’s how you do it:
- Lie down on your back flat either on the floor or a mat.
- Keep both your legs straight and extended out.
- Then bend your left leg at the knee and clasp the thighs of your left leg with both your hands
- Now slowly pull your leg towards your chest while exhaling.
- You should try to touch your chest with your kneecap
- Make sure while you pull your leg you are not lifting your hips off the ground
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds while breathing freely
- Now gradually straighten out your leg
- Repeat the process with the right leg
If you are having difficulty touching your chest with the knee then avoid forcing it and try to gradually improve. You can also tuck your chin into the chest for a deeper stretch
- Trunk rotation
In addition to relieving pain in lower back muscles, this is also an excellent exercise for building core muscles. If you have ever taken the services of Janavaidya you would know that this is one of the first exercises you get recommended so you know trunk rotation is effective for back pain since the most reliable experts recommend it. To do this exercise:
- Lie flat on your back and try to bring both your knees towards the chest.
- Spread out your arms on both sides and make sure your palms are facing down toward the floor
- Gently roll both your knees to the left side and hold the position for 25 seconds
- Return to the neutral state then roll to the right side
- Try to do this exercise about 10 times for each side
- Seated hamstring stretch
One of the most common causes of the lower back is tight hamstrings. If your doctor has indeed made the diagnosis that you are suffering from lower back because of your hamstrings then this exercise could be ideal for you. To do this exercise:
- Sit on the floor
- Extend your legs and keep them straight in front of you
- Gradually exhale and bend forward
- Try to bring your belly as close to your thighs as possible
- You should try to remain in this position for 8 to 10 seconds.
- Go back to the neutral position and repeat
- Pelvic tilt
This is a simple exercise for loosening back muscles and maintaining flexibility. To do this exercise:
- Lie down flat on your back with your knees bent
- Keep your under your head
- Gradually arch your lower back trying to push your pelvis in the upwards direction
- Hold for 10 seconds then relax and repeat
If you are having lower back pain because of a lack of flexibility and tension in the back then this exercise could alleviate the problem. To do this exercise:
- Get on your knees and hands
- Keep your knees separated
- Arch your back upwards and drop your head forward. This is the cat position of the exercise
- Hold this position for 5 seconds
- Return to the neutral position
- Raise your head and drop your pelvis forward towards the floor. This is the cow position of the exercise
- Try to repeat this exercise 15-20 times
- Seated spinal twist
This twisting exercise is great for you if you want to increase mobility in your spine which in turn will decrease your lower back pain. This could be a difficult exercise for many. You should gradually try to do it completely and not overextend yourself or perhaps you could get some experts from home health care services in Bangalore or wherever you live to help you do this exercise properly. To this exercise:
- Sit on the floor and extend your legs to straighten them out.
- Bend your right leg and put your right foot on the outside of the left thigh
- Put your arm on the outside of the right thigh
- You can put your right hand behind you on the floor for support
- Hold this position for 30 seconds then do the same for the other leg
- Sphinx stretch
This is an extremely easy exercise to do that even the ones suffering from severe lower back pain can do. To do this exercise:
- Lie on your stomach
- Keep your shoulder underneath your shoulders and hands stretched and extended in front of you
- Your feet should be slightly apart
- Gradually try to lift your head and the upper half of your body
- Your pelvis should be pressed to the floor
- Hold the position for 1 minute then return to starting position.
There you have it! Some of the best exercises that will take care of your lower back pain in no time and free you from the burden of constantly seeking emergency doctor consultation at home in Bengaluru or Mumbai every time you come back from work your lower back pain intensifies.